Wednesday, June 4, 2014

What's On My Plate Wednesday: Lentil Beet Bowl

As of almost a month ago, I decided to make a change in my diet, cutting out all meat. Many vegetarians and vegans have their reasoning for why they choose not to eat animal protein, whether it be for animal rights reasons or for health benefits. My reason was as simple as I felt my body wasn't functioning optimally. Having been raised on a low-fat "well-rounded" diet consisting of meat since I was a child, I have always considered myself extremely health conscious. Yes, I will admit I am a calorie counter through and through! Even with my efforts to eat clean and exercise, I wasn't happy with my figure and had struggled with a lack of energy for quite some time...literally wanting to crawl back into bed the minute I got home from work, having neither the energy or want to go to the gym. This wasn't the life I wanted to be living. Having had mono as an adolescent, I always just blamed the illness on my lack of energy.

A vegan friend of mine was always speaking so highly of the health benefits of nixing animal products as well as the benefits to the planet. So...I decided to try it. While many people slowly start cutting out certain foods, I went cold turkey and can honestly say I haven't had a shred of meat in almost 30 days. My energy levels, skin, mood and body have changed drastically. The most prominent change being my energy. While before I couldn't imagine a day with caffeine, I now feel just as energized in the morning as I do in the afternoon and evening. THIS is HUGE for me. While I would never push a lifestyle change on anyone, I highly recommend researching and trying a new diet. It is amazing what your food choices can do for the mind, body and soul. 

With all that being said...today I am featuring a protein rich, earthy, warm Lentil and Beet bowl I made Monday night for dinner. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I am a "bowl" lover. Throw a bunch of stuff in a bowl, mix it up, and voila! Meals don't get easier than that! 

ps...can we just talk about the colors in this meal?! I mean come on, so pretty! If your plate has every color of the rainbow on it, you know you are doing something right! 
Below are just a few Trader Joes ingredients that I picked up for this meal. I love that TJ's has such great ingredients that are pre-cooked and ready to use, such as these lentils and beets. Saves some serious time! And I HIGHLY recommend the Cruciferous Crunch salad...so YUM!


What you will need: 
1-2 cups of Kale salad mix
1/2 cup of cooked lentils (warmed)
1-2 cooked beets
1/4 cup of crumbled goat cheese
1/4 cup of raw pecans
1/2 cup of shredded carrots
1/4 cup of diced red onion

Dressing: 
1 T coconut oil 
2 T balsamic vinegar
1 T crushed garlic
sprinkle of cinnamon

Directions:
Add all of your ingredient to your prettiest, deepest bowl while heating your dressing over medium heat until oil has melted and mixture is bubbly. Pour warm dressing onto salad, MIX and ENJOY! 


No comments:

Post a Comment